Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Friends of Salsa

Who invented Salsa - Cubans or Puerto Ricans? Whoever invented it, whoever created it, we cannot ignore the fact that the rhythm, the beats come from Africa. We are all connected through this fiery Latin dance. So closely related to Mambo and Cha-Cha, some say it is the same dance. Latin communities throughout the United States and Latin America are responsible for shaping most of the steps we see today.

I loved dancing salsa so I decided to have a salsa party to celebrate my birthday and the launch of the I DANCE BECAUSE scholarship fund. Many of my friends came, learned basic salsa choreography and donated to the scholarship fund.

We were all blown away when the FRIENDS OF SALSA stepped on the floor. The Friends of Salsa are a group of dancers from Newark, all over the age of 60, (except for one) who dance smooth, old school salsa. I was mesmerized just watching these seasoned dancers spin, turn and shimmy with each other. I was amazed when the male dancers started dancing with 2 & 3 females to make up for the shortage of men.

It was a great night. We've decided to make it an annual event so if you missed it, catch us next year. Most of all consider donating to the I DANCE BECAUSE scholarship fund. Help send an inner city child to a dance school. Dance has changed many lives. Lets keep it going. What has dance done for you? Consider the gift of dance and how important it has been in your life.

No comments: