Monday, January 18, 2010

Remembering the Dream

January 15, 1981; I was blessed to be a part of the rally to make Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.s birthday a holiday. It was freezing outside but I didn't care. As a student at the University of Maryland, College Park; a predominantly white campus, I felt a strong responsibility to do my part. I was so excited to be a part of something so big. At the time, I don't think any of us had any idea the impact of what we were doing that day. Of course we had no idea that 28 years later we would witness the inauguration of our first African American president.

Last week, Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery spoke at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at NJPAC. I was so honored to be in the presence of such wisdom. He charged everyone to do their part. He encouraged us all to be the best at what we do. "If you are a street sweeper, be the best street sweeper you can be." I'm encouraged today to just be better, to follow through and not forget that cold day, January 15, 1981. I'm encouraged to keep teaching, writing and dancing, even when I don't feel like it. I'm inspired by Arthur Mitchell who after hearing of the assassination of Dr. King, decided to start the Dance Theatre of Harlem to dispel the myth that African Americans can't dance classical ballet.


Now more than ever it is time to live the dream. What has Dr. King's dream inspired you to do? What is it you are supposed to be doing with your life? Are you on the path to that dream? Each day we should be chipping away at our dream until it manifest (made a reality). Is your dream part of a bigger dream or is it a selfish dream that only you benefit from? When we marched 29 years ago, I don't think any of us were thinking about ourselves. We just knew it was something we had to do. I dance because its helps me remember the dream. I dance because…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's important to reflect on the fact that Dr. Lowery is currently in the ICU and struggling for his life. Last night I was dancing my prayers and then found out that this was true. I remember a verse of my school song "the shoulders that we stand upon, never receive applause or fame but in their honor I will live each day better than before". So I will dance my prayers and live my life in the honor of Dr. Lowery and in Dr. King's memory. I know this isn't exactly what your post was about but it caught my eye today.